1/28/11

My Husband, Zac.

It goes without saying that when you're married you obviously love the person you are married to---at least I hope so. It is true in my case as well.

I love my Zac.

I pondered for awhile today on the overwhelming importance of being married to someone you trust and rely on. Someone who sees you. Someone who sees past a "fat day" and into the hurting depths of who you are.

That is my Zac. But alas, it was not always that way.

Our first year of marriage was rocky, as it is for most couples, but unlike other couples Zac and I were thrown into a whirlwind of marriage and a family. All in one. All at once. All the time. It was difficult to make time for each other and when we did we were just exhausted. It broke down many levels of communication between us and at times described our relationship as simply roommates. We knew how to do "roommate"... we did it for a year while I was living in Fort Collins.

But we both realized we didn't want to be roommates anymore. Something had to change.

It meant saying no to friends and yes to each other.
It meant swallowing one's pride, daily, hourly...ok like every second.
It meant putting our relationship before Cohen. Marriage comes before children, I will always believe that.
It meant making time for each other, even if we were exhausted.
It meant getting up earlier so we could have an hour by ourselves.
It meant buying less so we wouldn't have to work more.

Wow. World. Of. Difference.

Honest to goodness we fell in love all over again.

What I love about Zac the most is his incredible (and I mean incredible) ability to make friends with anyone. You know that guy you knew in high school who was friends with everyone?! That was Zac. He is a magnet for hurting people, funny people, popular people, nerds and interestingly enough... outcasts.

I have drastically learned to extend myself to others being married to Zac.

I love that he never shies away from be spontaneous. He gets and idea and he goes! Now I am the planner...so... we balance out nicely. But when he gets excited and gets fire behind an adventure...there is no stopping him.

I love that he pretends to hit on me in the grocery store, mall or something of the like. I mean, at the core, he really is just a big flirt. I love it when we act like total strangers, soo hilarious... "So, my place or yours?" as Cohen screams "DADDDDDDDDDA!!!!"

I love that he deeply cares about his role as a father. I never knew how sexy fatherhood could be until Cohen got older and we could really "parent." I am astounded at the amazing level of maturity that comes from his mouth when we rebuke, correct and train for righteousness. He is proud of his role. And that my friends, is such a gift to me, the mama.

I love that he has made me a mountain girl. No one from high school or even college would believe me if I told them I'm a mountain girl now. I still am hesitant about the snow but I will hike and bike until Zac tells me to stop. One of the most bonding moments for the 2 of us is when he took me biking in Garden of the Gods (p.s. SOOOOO HARD!!) and we were going up a really hard hill. Zac made it up there in 2 minutes... I got up halfway up the hill, threw up on the side of the rode, wiped my mouth off and kept biking. I don't think I have ever been more sexy to Zac in my whole life (I'm completely serious).

I love that he challenges my thinking. He never allows me to be completely satisfied with an idea or a perspective. He is the devil's advocate in almost any setting but is caring. So very caring.

I love that he lets me be me. He understands that I need time by myself and understands that school plus work equals a tired mama. But his caring heart is what draws me to him. He is constantly endearing himself to me. :)

I could go on and on and on. I guess I'm just feeling sappy. Who knows. I wanted to dote on a man who I have been with for four or so years and have known since I was an awkward 6th grader. He was the first boy that ever held my hand in 8th grade and the first boy who told me I was the most beautiful girl in the world. He wrote me the sweetest, corniest valentines note when we were both 13. I still have it.


I love being married to my best friend. It makes me smile. Everyday.


5 comments:

  1. You two are beautiful together, Mackenzie. He is such an awesome guy. And you are such an amazing woman. God knew what He was doin'.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love ZAC! What a blessing he is to our family...I adore calling him our Son-in-Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely exceptional! I love your blog and your beautiful honesty! I'm so impressed by you and wish you love and joy all the days of your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Thank you!! So appreciate encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete