4/25/10


What is the hardest part about being a mom and a student for you?

For me the hardest part is the overwhelming guilt of feeling like I am missing something.

I know... I know... it is a temporary hardship for a long term benefit. Often times though I feel that I have to pick homework and studying over Zac and Cocobear...

Growing up education had always been a focal point in our household and there was never a doubt in my mind that I would receive at the very least a bachelors degree. When I got pregnant with Cohen it seemed that my one dream of getting a great education, living in the city somewhere and making lots of money evaporated in thin air. They sound so trivial when I think about it now but honestly I had to grieve the death of the "elite."

I am almost done. I have one more year (the HARDEST year) and truthfully I don't feel focused at all. I will have a degree in English but have no idea what I'll do with it. Frankly, I would love my masters in some sort of counseling but that is years from now.

I have to stay focused.... HAVE TO STAY FOCUSED!

The best part of my classes is stumbling on the pages of my textbooks that have coloring all over them from Cohen digging into my school bag and scribbling all over them. Cohen is as much apart of my schooling as I am. He reminds me that I am not doing this just for myself anymore... it is a commitment to my family.

So yes there are days where I don't see Cohen wake up or see Cohen go to sleep but I know that I am working toward a goal I will be grateful to share with him at one point.

Sewing seeds now for a big reward later.

I want him to know that education is very important but most of all that my commitment to him is the most important.

I suppose I should stop writing and finish a final paper...

To all my working, playing, studying and cleaning moms... have faith and be encouraged. Days feel at times... monotonous and endless. Remember the Lord sees our faithfulness and dedication.


6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness yes girl!!! I am so proud of the woman wife and mother you are Mac...xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mac I made my comment on your FB page. Many people don't finish their degree. You are doing a great job and will be so glad you did. 1 in 4 freshman drop out. By the time people are seniors up to 40% in some settings never finish. You have an original writing touch too. It is your own heart on paper straight from your head to pen. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Transparency reflects light best. That is what you are Mackenzie. I love your dad's words above, true and well said. And it seems to me you have your priorities very clear: just feeling you have to choose, knowing you are (for a brief season) missing out on seeing Cohen's eyes open first thing each morning reflects where your heart is. Love it.

    Cheering for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mackenzie:
    You do not have much time to read all this so right to the point...keep writing, what you have to say and how you say it matters!!!
    Being a mom is indescribable in every sense of the word....being a student is not easy and you are doing both....on top of that you are sensitive to Jesus's soft, encouraging words.
    So my few words for you is. Great labor of love!!
    Keep writing.....there are many young mothers who will be encouraged by your honest words.

    Rhode

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear sweet, young mother - you ARE in a "elite" group - the group of dedicated mothers who juggle so much on their plates - cookies included. Mothers of all time have had balance "out of kilter" at some point or another - from Eve in the garden with all those animals (oh,let's don't even get a whiff of poor Noah's wife on the ark), the mothers from the cowboy days - feeding all the cowhands and churning butter, with a baby on their hip - you get the picture.
    You will reap the reward of having this degree with your precious child in tow. Children are resilient. And yes, all of us have to handle the guilt when we are not there to tuck them in bed at night...but hand that guilt over to the Lord.
    God gave you a brain to learn, grow and use it in the work that He wants you to do. He also gives you strength for the day with His help. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". And the beauty of all this is you are nurturing others through this blog.
    I pretty much raised three children alone so I quite understand. I will lift up prayers for you today and this final year, for your husband and son. Believe in yourself and the gifts God has bestowed on you. And believe in the God who has your past, present and future in His loving hands. Watch and see what the Lord will bless you with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete