4/24/10

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History.... Right?


I was talking to a girlfriend recently and she mentioned to me that she was frustrated that she had done all the right things, made the right choices, said no to all those "bad things" yet for some reason things weren't really working out for her. No job lined up, no amazing man pounding at her door... just a whole lot of... nothing.

At the time I felt bad. Really bad. I imagined that it WOULD be difficult for someone to stay faithful when their faithfulness seems in vain. Seems that is.

Faithful is defined as:

1.
strict or thorough in the performance of duty: a faithful worker.
2.
true to one's word, promises, vows, etc.
3.
steady in allegiance or affection; loyal; constant: faithful friends.

She is all of these things. She has stayed true to her faith, her friends, her morality, her commitment to work and ultimately lives day to day being completely faithful. I pondered this... I began to think that faithfulness as it is described here is just an adjective. Faithful is also a noun....

A noun meaning:
the faithful:
a.
the believers, esp. members of a Christian church
b.
the body of loyal members of any party or group.

My friend is the noun faithful. She is part of a body of loyal members to a group. But not just any group. The body of Christ. It takes the loneliness out of just "being faithful." How often do we go through the motions of being faithful but forget we are THE faithful. It's not just a lifestyle... it is a commitment to excellence. It is realizing not what we are but who we were. Our faithfulness is the small choices reflects the condition of our heart.

Every walk of faith requires of us a sacrifice...or should I say...sacrifices. Often times there are no immediate rewards and sometimes faithfulness can seem...so... boring? I think of my friend and the life she will offer a man someday and what she will tell her children. That is payday... maybe not now when things seem so bleak but the Lord rewards the faithful.

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.
John 14:12,13


Mother Teresa once said "I do not pray for success but rather for faithfulness."

HE is faithful... we need to be faithful... His plans are greater and more vast than our eyes can comprehend.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow honey...and I know this faithful girl...love you kell bell...xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. love you kellie.... so very much

    ReplyDelete