1/31/12

Adult Child of Divorced Parents

Tonight I put my feet up after a grueling ten hour work day and pondered about the ideals surrounding marriage and family. I reflected on the nature of the institution of marriage, the expectation of motherhood, the relationships revolving around brothers and sisters and the loss that is felt for so many on these fronts.


I am an adult child of divorced parents. My parents divorced when I was a senior in high school, though their marriage had been troublesome for awhile. I’m not here to discuss the nature of their divorce... just my reflection as an adult child of divorced parents.
Unfortunately, it’s not the novelty it was even fifty years ago. The statistics these days are troubling. Almost 50% of marriages all end in divorce and that number doesn't change even among Christians. Most of my friends have divorced parents, others have parents who simply tolerate each other yet there are a tiny few that have parents who are loving and committed to one another. 
As a child of divorce, I will tell you right now, I hate it. I hate detachment that comes with divorce. It’s feels like someone is ripping something from the depth of your soul. 
Even when you know that it will bring peace to your family, the tsunami of grief comes and there is a new kind of pain. Sure, the old bickering, awkward, sad pain of watching your parents making poor choices can be hard and often the divorce releases some of these burdens...
Yet...
The children are always the ones that pay. They pay over, and over, and over again. Every birthday, holiday... every child being born... every wedding that passes... every turn of the season...
We are reminded.
We are the children of divorced parents.
I watch my peers, my friends and acquaintances spit in the face of marriage. Use manipulation and their own need for control to dictate their decesions. 
Never once thinking of their children that suffer.
Now, I believe that if there is spiritual, mental, verbal, sexual, or physical abuse going on in the home, obviously, there should be no toleration for that...
But follow me friends, I’m trying to go deeper than that.
It’s a heart issue... right?
I’m so sick and tired of watching Christian marriages fall apart all for the sake of “It’s best for my children.”
Let me tell you something... I’ve never cried so hard, grieved so deeply and ached so badly watching my family fall apart. I’ve never spent so many nights wrestling with my own demons surrounding the loss of a family I once thought was so perfect.
Zac and I have gone through a lot of hell in our marriage. It has been a difficult three, make it six, years. But if there is one thing I know about the two of us... it’s that when we said til death do us part... we meant it. 
As long as your hearts stay tender toward each other and the focus of your marriage leans heavily on a solid foundation, nothing will move that.
Selfishness and pride ruin marriages.
Let me say that again, selfishness and pride ruin marriages.
There is apart of me that wants to be sensitive I suppose. I watched my mom fight for her marriage for a very long time. I watched my dad give up that fight. I watched my siblings try to cope with the rawness that surrounded those ugly days.
I’m just tired of it. I’m tired of hearing how “justified” you are for leaving your husband, I’m tired of hearing of how you “deserved” a little fling because she doesn’t want to have sex with me, I’m tired of hearing how we just “fell apart and out of love.”
I’m tired of it. They are all excuses.
Your children will suffer because of your selfishness. Just wait. It may not happen now... but it will. 
Again, I’m not saying stay in a marriage that is abusive... but what I am saying is that as an adult of divorced parents, I am so tired of all the cowardice people in their “loveless” marriages.
What did you expect? Marriage to be some sort of cake walk? That it just “works” without work? That he/she will know how to love me unconditionally?
God is the only one with that ability. Everyone else will fail you... especially your spouse, time and time again.
I’m sad. I’m sad for these kids growing up in homes with brokenness. It makes me angry and it re traumatizes me and my grief at times.
Fight for your family. Fight for your marriage. It’s bloody and miserable at times but worth it... your kids are watching. 
I washed my face, put on my pajamas and began to fold up a few blankets and started to cry as I reflected on this. It’s such a profound loss. Zac watches me mourn this weekly... I wish, I wish more parents understood the enormous impact their selfishness takes on their children.
My messages is messy and not truly sound... but it’s raw and to me, it’s truth.


I sobbed watching this. This is my story.

15 comments:

  1. Love your honesty and pure heart. Thank you for sharing. The video is great too. (My parents had an unhealthy marriage but did not divorce. I didn't know until I was older, looking back.. they stayed together 'for the kids'. But my father died when I was a teenager, my mom was released from an unhealthy union and we didn't experience the pain of divorce. My own husband and I have lots of difficult days, but like you and Zac, we've made a promise. <3 25 years and counting...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words resonate deeply within me! Thank you for putting on paper the pain that that so many families, and particularly children experience. You are RIGHT!! Divorce happens in most marriages, Christian or not, because of selfishness and putting "me" first! That mindset is wreaking havoc on the fabric of the family! I speak as a child of divorce. My parents had an unhealthy marriage, as my dad was an alcoholic. It was so dysfunctional in most every way. As you did, I saw my mom fight for the marriage. I saw my dad, who was broken and addicted also fight for it, but he just couldn't or wouldn't let go of the alcohol. Even then, when they divorced, when I was 19, it was absolutely devastating. I also speak as a Christian wife and mom who has experienced my own divorce. My husband and I were married for many years, much of which were difficult. I gave up when our youngest child graduated from high school. I became selfish. Through the ABSOLUTE grace and mercy of God, He worked in both of our hearts, restored our love for one another and last year, after 6 years apart, we remarried one another. We believe we have broken the destructive cycle for our children! We WILL remain together, until death separates us - and we have determined in our hearts to honor God and our children by exemplifying Christlike love and commitment to one another above all else. We are very grateful! Thank you again for your transparent and painful account of your parent's divorce. I am so sorry for all of you. My own two children experienced all that you described. We will spend the rest of our lives restoring and healing their wounds as well as our own. We are so thankful for a second chance. Bless you Mackenzie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents divorced when I was 5 because my dad walked out on us (my mom and I) after cheating on my mom. That was the BEST thing that ever could have happened to me and my family. I am blessed because the size of my family duplicated. Once my parents remarried, I had four sets of grandparents; four different holiday celebrations; and four different viewpoints on life. Without my parents divorce I would not have the siblings I have now, who are God's biggest blessings to me. Without my parents divorce, I would not have gone down the open-minded and driven path I have gone and continue to go. If my parents had stayed together, I would not have lived in all of the amazing places I have lived--which has allowed me to open my eyes to other experiences and become ME. Everything happens for a reason, and my parents divorce 18 years ago was a blessing in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mack, Oh how I love it when God gifts a person with the ability to write with one eye on God and one on life and brings those two realities togeather in a way that sheds light, truth and direction. Bless you sweet one for writing this...well put and so true. Having gone through a divorice myself as a Christian...I say yes and amen to all that you have written. If your words allow one couple to take a breath, brush themselves off and say, yes instead of no to their faltering marriage, then the time it took to lay your words down will have been more than worth the energy. Love you girl...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully said Ruthanne! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Selfishness and pride ruin marriages... Truth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mac. Which of your parents initiated a divorce and why? Just saying dear daughter...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very true Debra Rhea! Selfishness and pride, if allowed to go unchecked will ruin a marriage! It ruined mine. It is so easy to point fingers at our spouse - but we need to look inside our own hearts too! There is an enemy of our souls who will work against the vows we have made. Thanks be to God, I am very happily married now, and we are both aware of the destructive potential within each of us. We look to Jesus - all the time. Thank you Grace Mackenzie for such an honest account of your own difficult experience. I am very sorry for the obviously painful loss of your family. I pray there will be a healing between you and your parents. The pain is very obvious. May God be with you dear as you seek Him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart goes out to you and your family. I will carry all of you in my heart, praying for an end to the pain caused by this "death." Praying for a real beginning to the healing of each of you. Nothing is impossible for God. Blessings and love from a sister in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sorrow appears to continue by ongoing damage to the parent/child relationship. Please think of the pain your words cause your daughter. Sad. God can heal even very wounded hearts. Don't make it worse by words which perpetuate her pain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I been told children suffer more from divorce than a death of a parent. My children experienced both and are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen so many kids negatively affected by senseless divorce and seperation. And in all cases the parents were not following the principles given to us by God. In no instance was someone the "better man" and offered their spouse understanding and forgiveness...Pride and selfishness and were a huge part of it. We all make mistakes, people just need to get over it and treat others like they want to be treated..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just was looking at this link to this blog. I say this with respect for the writer and her family of origin. Her writing, shows to me, that she values healing and is living with the faith to trust good for each, in her family. I would hope and trust, that her parents' healing is in forgiving, and realizing we are all needing to bridge in faith, back within the community. I sense that Jesus is in this story, as he is the Author and Finisher of all, in his Love. I would hope for that. The legal system is paid off for keeping 'acrimony' alive. Anyway, I am very sure this young writer is going to continue to be blessed as she is very talented, and with a heart to continue to grow to share her gifts.
    I trust that a good work will be completed, and hope this for each... Thank you for this link, to those who shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really appreciated this post, as another adult child of divorce. My parents also divorced right after I graduated. I thought this would make it easier as many of my friends grew up with divorced parents, and I was an adult. That just isn't so, sometimes I wonder if it's worse. It takes a long time to begin to feel ok about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete